Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Not that a major award is a good excuse but...


Congrats to Ang Lee and the motion picture itself for winning the two top awards at last night's Golden Globes - not to mention Best Screenplay, too! Also, to Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line and to Reese Witherspoon for her portrayal as June Carter. What an amazing year for Hollywood films. And a disappointing year to the execs who are choosing to shield the eyes of Rapid Citians. Politics wins again over the arts. I wonder if they realize that they have Broken their own Backs by trying to shove their Globes up their own proverbial Mountains of Gold?

3 Comments:

Blogger Spinfly said...

Who exctly is it that banned the movie?
Was there a group of people, or was it the theaters themselves?
Has there been protesting of the movie anywhere else in the country?

Tue Jan 17, 09:27:00 AM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

I think politics are a reason why the movie isn't at the theaters in Rapid City, but we can't ignore that the vibe given off by the community is that the movie wouldn't do well here because we have no interest in the movie.

Yes, politics play a role, but so does making money.

We, and I include myself in the we, tend to stay quiet out of annoyance when the "Religious Right" starts spouting off in the Letters to the Editor, in public or on television.

Unfortunately, silence often translates to acceptance.

Well, now that I'm done rambling, I refuse to accept. I'm calling the movie theaters.

I guess that's my way of dissenting. No, it is my way of dissenting. For too long I've complained to my friends, but haven't taking any active steps to voice my concern. What's the point of complaining to people who agree with you? (Sidenote: That's not a stab at Eekerz's post...but a general rhetorical question...mainly aimed at myself)

Okay, I'm done now.

Tue Jan 17, 09:29:00 AM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Is the Elks going to show it?

Hey, if I can sit through 30 straight minutes of watching Jesus getting the skin torn off him...

You know what will make the Carmike boys nervous?

Picket lines, sit-ins and boycotts.

Send 'em a letter kids.

Tell 'em how it might look in their lobby. Tell 'em the press will be there.

Give 'em a choice. Lose money for sure, right now, or take a chance that Rapid City is sophisticated enough to decide for themselves what kind of art they want to experience.

Tue Jan 17, 10:22:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home