Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Point to ponder...

Oksy, so I love Love LOVE the Christmas season. Everything is festive...from decorations, to parties, to people, etc...

However, I'm also aware that it's a Holiday Season that includes other holidays, like Hannukah, Kwanzaa, etc...

Keeping that in mind, I read the following letter to the Editor in yesterday's Rapid City Journal:

Anti-Christian bias

Many retail stores are not celebrating Christmas (birth of the Christ child) this year. According to Fox News (Nov. 15) many retail chains, notably Sears, K-Mart, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, Costcos, BJ's, etc., have instructed employees not to greet customers with "Merry Christmas" but to say "Happy Holidays" instead.

What a sad day for America, when retail outlets are afraid to speak the season's greeting that 85 percent of Americans believe in and bow to the anti-Christian bias.

It is time for Americans to realize we are in a world-wide war with terrorists, who wish to replace Christian values based on love with Islamic extremist values based on hate.

The ACLU has frightened retailers into surrendering control to a few atheists, whose goal is the elimination of Christianity in America. The truth is, not one ruling by the Supreme Court has ever banned any American from any form of Christian greeting at school, on government property or anywhere else in America.

Capitulation of values is how nations are destroyed! If anyone has experienced anti-Christian discrimination, call the Alliance Defense Fund, toll free, at 1-800-TEL-ADF or online www.saychristmas.org for free information.

SYLVIA DAVIS STONE
Rapid City

Now...on one hand we have rules in place so the 15% minority (in this case, the "non-Christians" according to Miss Stone) always has a voice. On the other hand, I really like saying "Merry Christmas."

So I guess I was just interested in what others had to say.

And that's all I have to say about that...until I respond to comments.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Sidenote: I'm not saying I agree with the somewhat crazy extremism spouted by this lady...I more agree that I enjoy saying "Merry Christmas" in public.

Wed Nov 30, 03:18:00 PM MST  
Blogger Spinfly said...

I love Christmas. We celebrate it in a non traditional, non Christian way... but I love it. It is a celebration of our family and the love we have for each other.

Being a non Christian in America is an interesting thing. But it is very comforting to know that America is a country that allows me to believe what I want and not be afraid of getting blown up because of it. I love this country, not this government, but this country. I love that I can say Merry Christmas and not am Christian. I respect what the corporations are trying to do… I think its a little sugar coated. But I think that a person should be able to say what ever the hell they want to when it comes to greeting someone during the holidays. That lady has a stick up her ass; someone should take it out and hit her in the head with it.

Wed Nov 30, 03:40:00 PM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

I agree, we should say Merry Christmas if that's what we think it is. There is religion, and there is culture. Christmas is culture for most people. So are the 10 Commandmants. It's a movie with Charlton Heston.
It's like Star Wars, and The Matrix, only not as cool.

I look at it this way: The days of our week are named after Norse Gods, the days of our month after Roman ones. So what? Nobody's squawking about that.

In short, I think we have better, more important things to argue about than what to call Christmas.

Wed Nov 30, 03:49:00 PM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well...the day naming makes sense. The world revolves around the Norsk people.

Wed Nov 30, 03:58:00 PM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Don't forget about Stonehenge.

Don't forget Mogur.

Don't forget that we are animals.

Don't forget to see the sun.

Don't forget that we forgot.

Wed Nov 30, 05:13:00 PM MST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If someone working at Target or Duane Reade (holla NY) were to say to me "Happy Kwansa!" You know what? I don't think I'd be offended. I'd be all, "Hell YEA Kwansa! You too buddy! Thanks! PS, what do you do for that holiday? Is there a love-in involved? Cause if so... HELL YEA KWANSA!"
I'm pretty long winded and that person probably would've walked away by that point. But, my point is, I have two, ok 1) people are way too damn sensitive when it comes to being PC. No, I take that back, corporations are way too damned sensitive and it's not because they're concerned for people, it's because they're all concerned with peoples money. Money is THE reason for corporate PC-ness, and that is more offensive than anything. 2) OK I'm Catholic and according to this woman I'm in the majority. And as someone in the majority I would just like to say I'm really sorry that we're such a-holes about being "number one." Especially this lady, god, take a chill pill.
It doesn't matter if your values are "based on love" if they're carried out with the "non-acceptance and hatred of others."

Thu Dec 01, 08:24:00 AM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Captain Happy Rocks.

So I just realized I typed "Oksy" instead of "Okay" at the beginning of my post.

I've been walking around the office for the last hour going "Oksy doksie."

Thu Dec 01, 09:13:00 AM MST  
Blogger Toad734 said...

As noted, the retails have decided to do this themselves. If they decide to say "happy fuck you" when I enter the store that is their right. Most people probably wont shop there, well I would, but they do have the right to say what they want. Christmas is hardly Christian any more and is more about sharing and family than it is Jesus' birthday which most people know didn't happen on Christmas day.

Kwanza isn't real is it?

Fri Dec 02, 08:51:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home