Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Thoughts...

Okay, I know I'm not as liberal as most people that contribute to this blog, but I even thought this Letter to the Editor (published today - 11/01/05) was a bit of a stretch. Thoughts?

Korea and Iraq

Liberals like to compare the war in Iraq with Vietnam so they can use the word "quagmire" and tag President Bush as a loser. A better comparison is with Korea, a war we won.

Korea: Stop the spread of Communism.
Iraq: Stop the spread of terrorism.

Korea: Prevent a takeover by an oppressive government.
Iraq: Free a country from an oppressive government.

Korea: Enemy aided by Red Chinese.
Iraq: Enemy aided by terrorists from Iran, Syria, etc.

Korea: We won because the military ran the war not the president like President Johnson did with Vietnam.
Iraq: We will win because the military is running the war.

Korea: 50 years later we still have troops there.
Iraq: What's the hurry to withdraw?

Differences:

Korea: The Communists didn't attack America.
Iraq: The terrorists did.

Korea: Illegal war. No war resolution passed by Congress.
Iraq: Legal war.

Korea: Military draft. Few had choice to go to war or not.
Iraq: Volunteer army. Everybody has a choice.

Korea: The minority party, the Republicans, supported the president.
Iraq: The minority party, the Democrats, are using the war to try and destroy President Bush.

If Korea was an honorable war, why isn't Iraq an honorable war?
JOHN O. RUFF - Sturgis

Anyway, I was going to comment on this letter on my own blog, but I had already written about candy...and I really like candy.

12 Comments:

Blogger EThunk said...

Well...his statements are untrue, sensless and downright goofy...and that's all I have time to say right now.

Tue Nov 01, 10:29:00 AM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

I wrote a response to every single point and then, just before I hit send, I accidently closed the window.
I can tell you that every single thing he says if false.
If you need more specifics, let me know.

Tue Nov 01, 10:59:00 AM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

IS False.


uaxxxxb (...nice!)

Tue Nov 01, 11:00:00 AM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

My impression of the letter is that it may be by somebody who is anti-war. You know, pretending to take the other side, mucking up the argument and even getting people on that side to stop and way "Whoa...wait."

And that's what I think.

UDEMMEN! Yes! You dem men!

Tue Nov 01, 11:12:00 AM MST  
Blogger Spinfly said...

I don’t think so Skog. A person who has anti war beliefs would have better answers. There is a very misconstrued way that guy is talking and it’s not how we anti war thinkers think... I think?

Tue Nov 01, 11:27:00 AM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

How do you get that Skogg? The guy sounds off his rocker to me. I don't think he's anti-war, or liberal.
He sounds like a right wing, kooky hawk... along the lines of say G. Gordon Liddy.

You seriously think his letter is satire?

I sure don't take it that way.

His arguments are way too stupid.

Tue Nov 01, 12:18:00 PM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

No...I'm trying to make the point that his answers are so off the mark...it almost has to be satire...although it's a failed attempt at satire.

Capice?

Tue Nov 01, 01:15:00 PM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

I think he's inhaled too much Sturgis motorcycle tail pipe smoke. I'll tryto find out if he's trying to be funny, but I really, really doubt it. Believe it or not, there are people who are just that nuts.

Tue Nov 01, 01:23:00 PM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

cough cough minkel cough

Tue Nov 01, 01:50:00 PM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Good ones, Polyman.

By the way, most people are taking this guy seriously, Skogg. There is great skepticism that he is being satirical. Check it out.

One guy says he's heard all that same stuff from a lot of Repubs. Nuts, huh? Maybe you've been a liberal all along, Skogg, and thought that people who think like you do are Republicans. Not so kiddo. Welcome home.

Wed Nov 02, 08:35:00 AM MST  
Blogger Sarah said...

Hush your mouth, Owl.

Wed Nov 02, 01:33:00 PM MST  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

I hear ya, Skogg.
This is Western South Dakota, huh?

Wed Nov 02, 03:59:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home