Thursday, June 16, 2005

Wine Celler Gig

Dylan's made quite a splash hosting his gigs at the wine celler.
I want to thank him for inviting me and Flick to play with the Slice last night.

And I thought it was wonderful that Chad Langford played bass on so
many tunes.

The tableside serenade that JFAT gave Jill McG. was both
breathtaking and tearjerking. Jeni kills with one tune.

I bet there are very few venues where completely acoustic performances
are given with no mikes or amps whatsoever.
It's a whole different way of playing. (The old way.)

The only thing I regret was not being able to be in two
places at once. I would like to have heard the ambient sound in the room,
and what an old screech Owl sounds and looks like when he's screaming
out the blues at the top of his lungs. I bet it was pretty funny. Did you see
my glasses flying off? What a nerd!

And Leonard... I swear! Was he conducting or what? That was just
remarkable, and wonderful. Talk about swapping energy!

And through it all, there were Dylan and Nick, layin' down good old slices
of banjo and dobro so that Flick the Fly could soar and dive like a falcon
on his Alto and Tenor Saxs. The crowd, too, was completely awesome –
especially the time when the music stopped and they just kept singing.

Really good vibration.

Thanks again, D.

16 Comments:

Blogger Bill Fleming said...

..and how 'bout when Trewthinalliam played upright bass for his old man? Spectacular. And the Ditmann kid blowing beside his master. He has some killer chops. I swear, we brought the living room downtown last night, huh?

Thu Jun 16, 07:39:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Spinfly said...

It was a blast pops, one other last coincidence. After it all was over I headed down to the firehouse and to my surprise there was a guy up on stage doing stand up... I recognized him from Comedy Central. He was obviously with the large group sitting behind us. The more I listened and paid attention, I put it together...

The large group sitting behind me was the Nick at Night Road Crew... the very same Nick at Night Road Crew that Dylan had spent the whole day with... Go figure.

Thu Jun 16, 08:50:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

It was a Chopomopolis kinda day then, huh?
What a guy. His sister's pretty cool too, not to mention his wonderful niece!

Thu Jun 16, 09:07:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAARRGGHHH,
Sorry I missed the soire, sounds like it was fantabulous...(racking sob) Nobody called me...(more sobbing) Congrats on the Nick at Nite gig Dancin D. Leeeerve to you all.

Thu Jun 16, 09:09:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Spinfly said...

JOEY!!! you were not phoned because i tried to drop the heavy hint to the Skog... but either she did not get it:

"Sarah,
There is a little whisper of a rumor circulating that the Jeni Fleming Acoustic Trio may be making an appearance at the Wine Cellar tonight... just thought you might want to know ;)"
OR
She hates us! (sad)

anyway, sorry you wern't phoned. it was fun we would have Leeeerved tho have you there!

Thu Jun 16, 09:52:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah will be punished accordingly! I leeeerve the Fleming Cartel, almost as much as I leeeerve looking at myself in the mirror...does that make me vain? Discuss.

Thu Jun 16, 10:03:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Spinfly said...

Yes, Yes it does!

Thu Jun 16, 10:14:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Spinfly said...

Hey Joey,
Did you like hanging out with that George Jesus Guy that one night at Patty's?

Thu Jun 16, 10:15:00 AM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those pictures made me guffaw and even a little snort laugh...you are too funny Spin. (Leeeeerve) And yes, tis the reason I spend so much time at the office is for Georgey Peorgey.

Thu Jun 16, 10:47:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

Well when Joey tells me he's not coming to Rapid City until Friday, I don't think of calling for him.

As for getting the hint...I defintiely got it, but chose to ignore it, because I knew I couldn't go and I was depressed about that.

Now I'm more depressed.

Thu Jun 16, 01:28:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is something to cheer you up Sarah, wear your "favorite" skirt and then stand under a grate on the street across from the Elks. Hoots and holla's galore!
Leeerve

Thu Jun 16, 02:38:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

"Under" the grate Joey. That sounds pretty funky.
I bet there are some gnarly things down there.
What am I missing here? Most grates I know of
are on, or slightly under the ground. "It's a grate life when your well grounded"...that's what I always say anyway.

Thu Jun 16, 03:15:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

Did George W. Jesus show up at the Wine Cellar?

Thu Jun 16, 03:48:00 PM MDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Okay, I digress, above a grate. DRAT!
Thanks Owl (Leeeerve)

Thu Jun 16, 04:07:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Spinfly said...

He did not come. I think he is off some where east river. you know im glad hes gone. He never flushes, he leaves the seat up, and he smells really bad!

Thu Jun 16, 04:11:00 PM MDT  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Thanks Joey. Now I get the picture. It's that Marylin Monroe kind of deal, right? (wink)

Thu Jun 16, 05:11:00 PM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home