Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Not something to be proud of...

First, my apologies for the post. The blog has been light-hearted as of late, and this is a more serious post.

But it's an important one.

I went to the Drudge Report, which can be, at times, dramatically conservative. However, a headline caught my eye: South Dakota reins in abortion rights.

Essentially, the article discusses how it's incredibly difficult to get an abortion in this state. I knew that Sioux Falls is the only city where you can get an abortion, but what I didn't realize is that doctors fly in from the Twin Cities once a week to perform these abortions as most doctors in South Dakota won't perform the procedures due to the stigma and the effect on their ability to successfully practice medicine.

Abortion has been a topic I've struggled with for many years. I used to be passionately pro-life. I still am, but my view has changed as I now realize I'm passionately pro-life...where my own body is involved. Which, I guess, makes me somewhat pro-choice. However, I still struggle with the whole situation.

What frustrates me about what's going on in South Dakota, and in other areas where it's difficult to get an abortion...is that pro-life individuals are taking drastic steps to block abortions...but then they think they've accomplished their job.

What happens when a woman doesn't get an abortion that she wants to get? Well, then you have a baby that isn't wanted, and might not be properly cared for...and that deeply saddens me.

So if this State wants to make it near impossible for women to get an abortion...go ahead...do it. But the preventative steps taken create a duty to ensure those lives you so zealously fought to protect are lives lived to the fullest...well-fed, well-cared for, and "well-loved" children.

And that's all I have to say about that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Check Mt. Blogmore Skogg. The very same topic is up there right now. South Dakota is becoming a test state for the ultra-right. It's not good.

Wed Dec 28, 12:14:00 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home