Thursday, October 13, 2005

I hope it's Frustrated Sigh Day Tomorrow...

So we had our first read through this evening for "Beauty and the Beast." I had to leave half-way through because of work related things I had to finish up, but I just have to tell you that what I heard/saw so far...got me really excited.

Which is what makes this next part so frustrating...

There are people in the community who are apparently grumbling because they feel "misled" by the Civic Center for purchasing season tickets for five shows, and only believing four of the shows (aka all the rest) are "Broadway caliber" simply because this show has local talent in it.

At this point, I'd like to point out that there have been some really incredible shows that have come through the Civic Center courtesy of the Broadway series: RENT, Fosse, Miss Saigon, Nunsense...

However, there have been some craptacular shows that we paid a lot of money for, and that did a horrible job: Grease, West Side Story, Broadway on ICE (I'm anticipating...but come on...let's all be realistic on that one), Michael Flatley's Lord of the Dance Sans Michael Flatley...misleading much??

What's my point? Well, it offends me that people in this town only believe quality theatre can come from people who are stationed in New York or anywhere else but here. Yes, some of the best theatre in the world is in that town. However, some of the worst actors are in that town, trying to break into theatre. Sometimes the incredible actors are in a touring production. However, sometimes the bad actors are in a touring production. That alone is a gamble...a gamble that the Civic Center pays something like $50,000+ per show on. That's what we poker players like to refer to as "All in."

We have two professional actors coming in to play the Beast and Gaston. I can't wait. Eric auditioned them personally, and I'm sure they'll do an amazing job. We also have many more amazing actors, who are very professional, playing the rest of the parts. I know that we'll do a great job.

This town has an amazing amount of art in it for being the size that it is. Rapid City is a fountain of talent from music to art to photography to singing to dancing to acting to speaking to playing...the list goes on.

It's about time the town recognizes that...and they will on December 3rd and 4th. PLUG

So if you hear grumbling...speak up...and let those people know that they're paying for good theatre, and with this show...unlike some others...it will be more than good. It will be great.

There...I'm done rambling and I feel much better. I need to lighten the mood, so here you go.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chop said...

awwwwwww puppies........... what were you saying skog?



lzzcc

Fri Oct 14, 08:21:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

Puppies and Hasselhoff...it's like God himself took the picture.

Fri Oct 14, 08:37:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Sarah said...

CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGE!!!

Sorry...Jenn just got me all pumped up.

I just...I...

(slowly backs out of room)

(comes back in to seriously give the "I agree with you completely" head nod towards Jenn)

Fri Oct 14, 09:31:00 AM MDT  
Blogger Bill Fleming said...

Good post Skogg. Did you see the article in the paper today about City funding for the Arts. A good sign I think. I'd like to see any play in New York that did a better job on "Noises Off" than the Black Hills Playhouse did this summer. Also, I bet nobody ever did "Greater Tuna" and better than Dale Green and Daimon Krall did out there one summer. I was doubled over laughing. The only other times I've ever laughed so hard were 1. At a George Carlin concert 2. When I saw "Blaxzing Saddles for the first time and 3. When a friend of mine got a charley horse, dropped his pants at the dinner table and his wife made me massage his leg with a huge vibrator while she went to get the homeopathic medicine.


sjkrsupc
(sounds like an abbreviation
for "sucking up to Skogg.")

Fri Oct 14, 11:16:00 AM MDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home